Alexandra C. Johnson Attorney at law, LL.M.
Alexandra Johnson is a partner and member of Pestalozzi’s Litigation & Arbitration team in Geneva. She focuses on representing clients in international arbitration and complex commercial disputes. She also frequently advises clients on Swiss contract law and represents parties in challenge proceedings against arbitral awards and in enforcement proceedings before Swiss courts. Besides her work as party counsel, Alexandra Johnson regularly sits as an arbitrator under various arbitration rules.
Alexandra Johnson has more than 20 years of experience in international arbitration. She has acted as counsel and arbitrator (either as a sole, party-appointed arbitrator or chairperson) in numerous arbitration proceedings, both ad hoc and institutional (e.g., ICC, LCIA, Swiss Rules, CAS) and in various matters such as international joint venture agreements, long-term gas supply contracts, construction and engineering, distribution and licensing, sale of goods, pharmaceutical, governance, food & beverages, post M&A and sport-related disputes.
She is listed on the panel of arbitrators of the ICC Swiss Commission of Arbitration and ADR, EDAC, AAA/ICDR, CPR, BVI IAC, and JAIAC.
Alexandra Johnson also regularly appears before the Swiss Federal Supreme Court in challenge proceedings against arbitral awards and is often retained to enforce arbitral awards in Switzerland.
Some of the recent work highlights include:
- President of the Arbitral Tribunal in an ICC arbitration regarding a distribution agreement in the medical sector.
- Co-arbitrator in an ICC arbitration relating to a post-M&A dispute in the financial sector.
- Lead Counsel for an Indian conglomerate in a construction arbitration related to an EPC project in the Middle East.
- Represented a State-owned Company in a multi-billion ICC arbitration regarding an international gas sale contract and gas price review dispute.
- Successfully defended an LCIA award before the Swiss Federal Supreme Court in the context of a multi-million shareholders’ dispute.
- Represented B.V.I. and Luxembourg claimants in an ICC arbitration relating to a shareholders’ agreement with parallel proceedings before English courts.
- Represented a US company in a Swiss Rules arbitration concerning a license and distribution agreement in the pharmaceutical sector.
- Co-counsel in an ICC arbitration concerning an international gas sales contract and gas price review dispute.
- Represented a major investment company in set aside proceedings before the Swiss Supreme Court in relation to a multi-million LCIA arbitration.
- Co-arbitrator in an ICC arbitration regarding a dispute over a joint venture in the oil sector.
- President of the Arbitral Tribunal in an ICC arbitration regarding a construction project in Turkey.
- President of the Arbitral Tribunal in an ICC arbitration regarding an infrastructure project in Greece.
- President of the Arbitral Tribunal in a Swiss Rules arbitration regarding a shareholders’ dispute.
- President of the Arbitral Tribunal in a Swiss Rules arbitration regarding a license and distribution agreement.
- Sole arbitrator in an ICC arbitration regarding a post-M&A dispute.
Alexandra Johnson holds various positions in arbitral institutions. She is Vice-President of the Swiss Centre Arbitration Court. She is Co-Chair of the Swiss Arbitration Association
(ASA) Geneva Local Group, Head Lecturer and member of the Academic Council of the Swiss Arbitration Academy and part of the Faculty of the DELOS Remote Oral Advocacy Program. She also sits on the ADR Commission of the Geneva Bar Association and is a member of the Advisory Board of the Jamaican International Arbitration Centre (JAIAC). She regularly speaks and writes on international arbitration topics.
She is a member of the Board of Directors of the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research Ltd. and of the LICR Fund, Inc. She is also a Director of the Swiss Arbitration Hub Ltd.
Alexandra Johnson is dual national Swiss and Jamaican. She graduated summa cum laude in 1997 from the Law School of the University of Neuchâtel and holds an LLM (2001) from Harvard Law School (Fulbright Scholar). She is admitted to the Geneva and New York bars.
Alexandra Johnson is highly recognized by leading legal directories. In particular, she is recommended by Chambers Global and Europe, Legal 500, and is listed as a Thought Leader Arbitration 2022 by Who’s Who Legal. She received a Distinguished Service Award from the American Arbitration Association in 2010.
Some of the recent accolades include:
- “Superb at putting together powerful submissions. A real pleasure to work with.” (The Legal 500, 2022)
- “Deep understanding of international arbitration.” (Chambers Europe, 2022)
- “Incredibly strong.” (Who’s Who Legal Arbitration 2022)
- “Stand-out name.” (Who’s Who Legal Arbitration, 2022)
- “An excellent arbitration lawyer with a strong track record as counsel.” (Who’s Who Legal Switzerland, 2021)
- “Stellar.” (Who’s Who Legal, 2021)
- “Insightful and to the point.” (Who’s Who Legal, 2021)
- “Shines in her impressive handling of the difficult aspects of a case.” (Who’s Who Legal, 2019)
- “An outstanding lawyer who is always well-prepared.” (Who’s Who Legal, 2019)
- 2022 Partner at Pestalozzi
- 2017 Partner at Bär & Karrer
- 2016 Partner at Python & Peter
- 2012 Counsel at Python & Peter
- 2010 Senior Associate at Python & Peter
- 2005 Senior Associate at Schellenberg Wittmer
- 2002 Associate at Clifford Chance, London
- 2001 Associate at Clifford Chance, New York
Harvard Law School, LL.M. (Fulbright Scholar)
Bar admission: New York (not practicing)
- 1999 Associate at Knoeplfer, Gabus & Gehrig
Research Assistant at the Faculty of Law, University of Neuchâtel
Bar admission: Switzerland
- 1997 University of Neuchâtel: lic. iur. (summa cum laude)
Trainee at a Knoepfler, Gabus & Gehrig
Litigation & Arbitration
Vice-President of the Arbitration Court of the Swiss Arbitration Centre
Co-Chair of the Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA) Geneva Local Group
Head Lecturer and Member of the Academic Council of the Swiss Arbitration Academy
Member of the ADR Commission of the Geneva Bar Association
International Bar Association (IBA)
Swiss Bar Association (SAV/FSA)
Geneva Bar Association
Member of the Advisory Board of the Jamaican International Arbitration Centre (JAIAC) ICC, LCIA, IAA
Harvard European Law Association
Past Board Member of ArbitralWomen
Past Board Member of ICDR Young & International